BAKERWOMAN

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

GREAT WEEKEND

I am in the process of selling my oldest daughter my car. Right now, the only vehicles we have are our Ford truck with the V-10 engine (8 miles a gallon) or his toy-a 1985 BMV piece of crap that he is in the process of restoring. One of the things he has not yet had fixed is the air conditioner. We were going to visit my youngest daughter for the weekend and had to decide which vehicle to take. As she lives over two hundred miles away and we didn't want to take a third mortgage to buy gasoline, the choice was simple.

Did I mention that his toy is a convertible? Ah? Men in menopause!

I really dreaded the trip but I really wanted to see my daughter and her family.

Summer came on with a bang here and at four o'clock Friday afternoon, it was over 90 degrees. We pack our stuff, jump in the car (which is actually almost easy to get into when the top is off) and take off. My husband was in seventh heaven. I'd brought a cloth hat to try to keep my hair from tying in knots and because I sunburn easily and have a huge ski slope of a nose that is the first to burn. I had a string under my chin that was choking me and I still could barely keep the damn hat on. My husband had on his straw summer cowboy hat and it wasn't even blowing. What the Hell?

After about 100 miles of streaming wind and bumping ass (it sits close to the ground and needs shocks), my head was soaking wet from sweat and I felt like I'd spent the day out weeding my garden in 100 degrees. I took off the damn hat to dry my hair and it dried in strings. Now my body is salty and my scalp feels like there's enough dry stuff on there to plant a garden. Hubby decides it is time to stop for gas and a potty break. I stagger into the restroom and do the best I can. (Did you ever wash your face only to find out there are no paper towels-only one of those stupid blowers at waist height?) By now, it's cooling down. I get back into the car, we head out and I ask where my jacket is. He replies that it is in the trunk. I don't like to complain so for about 50 more miles I tried to hunch over under the dash and finally covered up with his windshield sun screen. Just when I was getting toasty, he pulls over to put up the top because he is cold. The rest of the trip was uneventful except when we arrived, about the first thing I did was take a shower so I wouldn't offend the rest of the family.

Well, this isn't too bad a blog so I think I'll stretch it out for a couple of days. Talk to you later.

1 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Caro said...

I love convertibles but best when they have air conditioning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home