BAKERWOMAN

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

RETURN TO THE ICE ZONE

We have a room at the Marriot beside the Airport tonight. The reason? I let a travel agent make Mom's flight reservations and she leaves at 5:44 a.m. tomorrow. As this is the height of the fog season, we can't take a chance on driving. By the time we drop her off and drive home, it will be just exactly time enough for us to get to work. Oh Jolly! Won't we be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed?

Mom called my sister to pick her up after I called the airline and confirmed her flight yesterday.
She will be going from California (our days have actually been in the sixties this winter) to Maine. My sister has already told her that once she is home, she will have to stay inside because her steps and yard are glare ice. My sister will get rock salt to take care of it but, meanwhile, Mom is housebound. I am so damn glad that I don't have to put up with the crappy weather anymore.

This week starts real winter life for me. I'll be working overtime and starting our income tax crap at home. It would be nice to claim all the medical bills this year, but I am sure that when I figure them up it will be just under the percentage of income that IRS allows. I'm sure most government employees have a health insurance that covers every little sneeze!

When I took this job twenty-five years ago, I was scheduled for an interview with the state (I had already passed their test). Because I knew I wouldn't be working locally and we had one vehicle, I stayed with the job I had already started. You don't know how many times I have regretted that decision. A great retirement here was one of the benefit packages. Last year, our plan was frozen. Imagine that-a retirement plan in trouble! Darn!

Well, time to go to work.

Talk to you later.

2 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

One of the greatest scams in history: Spend the pension fund and let the government pay (some of) it. How the rich keep being rich....

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Caro said...

But you get be in charge a bit more at your current job than you would at a government job. So maybe this one is a better fit. Plus, think of all the times the budget didn't get balanced so state employees weren't getting paid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home