BAKERWOMAN

Friday, October 21, 2005

HALLOWEEN

One of the girls brought candy corn today. Thank god I can't stand the stuff. I've already had so much chocolate that I refuse to get on the scales.

There's a reason why I can't stand it. It was my Mom's favorite and if there was any candy in the house, candy corn was it. As poor as we were, the fact that us kids didn't care for it was probably a big plus for Mom. I did read the ingredients off the package this morning:
sugar, corn syrup, salt, confectioner's glaze, cocoa (some), honey, cotton seed/and or soybean oil, plus lots of colors and preservatives. That comes to sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, salt, fat and cancerous causing agents! Yum! Yum!

Not that chocolate is any better for us. It's about the same thing except it has a whole lot more fat.

I don't think that the candy, sweet tooth problem is even just confined to the U.S. Good
chocolate comes from Belgium. Truffles originated in Britain. The key is moderation which somehow does not seem to be in my make up.

There are so many occasions to buy chocolate! Valentines, Easter, Birthdays, Halloween and Christmas. My favorite chocolates (and my husband's) are the ones that are marked on the lid of the box. We both loathe cocoanut and those fruity jelly crappers. Having the marks keeps us from having to bite into those nasty things.

This is the time of year when we start telling ourselves that it's okay to keep porking all the crap down that we want because it's useless to try to diet through the holidays. Oh, the lies we tell ourselves to keep on doing things we want to do.

2 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Candy corn is NASTY. Even I won't eat it and I'm like Mikey in the Life commercials. My verification is obyfunam. That sounds kind of cool.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You are so on target. The fruity jelly crappers seem to always go back in the box, still whole but with teeth indentations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home