BAKERWOMAN

Sunday, October 16, 2005

COUNTRY MUSIC

My daughter wrote today how she hates country music but there are so many kinds that are classified as country nowadays.

My family used to sing all the time, so I am familiar with a lot of really old music. Today's country music is not the same. It is what rock and roll was forty year's ago.

The first music I really loved was the Beatles. The next music I loved and still love most of all is anything by the Eagles. They have made the sweetest, best music of all time for so many years. For me no one else even comes close.

I do still like old country music, though. Anyone remember Wanda Jackson or Kitty Wells? And nobody does the blues better than George Jones. I melt when I hear the Statlers sing "This Bed of Roses". Yes, they all have a whiny quality but that's how country music was. Garth Brooks has a truly wondrous voice and some good songs but it still doesn't sound like real country music.

By the way, Conway Twitty was originally a rock and roll star. I never cared for him a lot. No one could stand to watch his face when he sang. He strained constantly like a constipated, pregnant woman. My Ex used to put his music on a lot (on volume 10, of course, so no one else could sleep). He particularly liked "Linda on my Mind". It was probably the name of his current girl friend. I used to love it when he went for sleep-overs and I didn't have to bother with his crap.

I love Willis Nelson's music (not his voice) and Waylon Jennings was really great. Johnny Cash and Christopherson could/cannot sing but Chris writes great music. By the way who calls their kid Chris Christopherson? It sounds like Larry Larry.

Night All

2 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You got a lot of winners there. I remember Conway: He had the original Donald Trump hairdo.

And I certainly agree that most today's country isn't country -- everybody is trying crossovers, I guess. Gimme George Jones, Patsy Cline, Dolly, etc.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Caro said...

No comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home